Athletics Mission & GoalsThe overall mission of the Millennium Athletics Program is to enhance the healthy lifestyles of all members of the school community through providing programs, facilities and training that promote physical fitness, competition and life-skill development.Accordingly, the Program has identified three core goals. They are:
- To serve as a focal point in the school by bringing our diverse student body together through common interests in healthy living; fierce, but friendly competition; and a sense of pride and school spirit;
- To provide varsity, recreational, and club athletic programs of the highest quality to ensure that the growth and development of our students is impacted in the most positive manner; and
- To contribute to the school's profile and city-wide reputation through the welcoming and fostering of impact scholar athletes who excel both in the classroom and on the playing field.
1. At the end of each marking period a student must achieve, at a minimum, 89% attendance for that marking period in order to be considered for athletic eligibility. The 90% minimum attendance requirement refers to attendance in school and not to attendance in specific classes. The 90% attendance requirement is not cumulative.
2. A student must be present in school and must attend all assigned classes in order to participate in any team practice, scrimmage, league or non-league game, meet, contest or try-out on that day. The school Principal, on a case-bycase basis, may grant exceptions to this rule. Valid medical absence documented by a physician’s statement is an exception. Absence due to the death of a father, mother, grandparent or sibling may be approved to a maximum of five school days based upon the submission of documentation to the school Principal. Absences due to court appearances may be approved upon submission of documentation to the Principal.
3. A student with less than 90% attendance at the end of the term or at the end of any marking period is ineligible, but can establish attendance eligibility when the next report card or evaluation is issued.
4. A student who has been declared ineligible for failure to meet the 90% minimum attendance requirement and who establishes eligibility when the next report card is issued must maintain a minimum of 90% attendance for every consecutive ten-day period of required school attendance following the issuance of said report card for the duration of the term. When a student fails to meet this requirement, he/she immediately becomes ineligible for the remainder of the term. Eligibility for the subsequent term is based on the 90% minimum attendance requirement set forth in section 1.